Los Angeles, as many of you have experienced, is a haven for the rich, famous and gorgeous. It’s where you want to be if you want to be seen and discovered. Stars aren’t born; they’re made in LA. Unfortunately, that also leads us to make sacrifices that force us to live pretty lonely lives.
Sure, you’re attending parties with some of the most gorgeous people in the world, but none of them care about you unless you’re “someone”. If you are “someone”, then you have to wonder whether they’re into you for you or because of your success. It’s a vicious cycle that once you enter; it’s very hard to escape. I’m here to tell you that there are ways to get out of that vicious cycle. If you see someone you like, follow some of the keys and you might have a chance at a successful relationship.
- Don’t date someone for their title, because in the end it’ll turn out to be a fantasy rather than reality. Everyone in LA is either a “Producer” or an “Actor,” so if someone tells you they’re a producer or an actor; take it for what it is, because a porn producer is still a “Producer.” Look past their titles, glitz and glamour to see who they really are as a person. You might be surprised at what you find.
- Understand that most people in LA don’t work a 9 to 5 schedule. In fact, does anyone still work a 9 to 5 schedule? There might be time when you won’t see the person you’re dating for a few weeks while they’re on location and the most you contact you’ll have with them is maybe a phone call or an email at some ungodly hour in the morning, but know that the email was probably sent after a 20+ hour work day.
- You have to trust your partner. That should be key to any successful relationship, but especially in Los Angeles where gorgeous people surround you and temptation is around every corner. You have to trust that your partner is faithful to you, even if they happened to be surrounded by a bevy of gorgeous people of the opposite sex 20 hours a day.
- Make time for your partner. You don’t need to go out every night, be at every club opening, every premiere or party. Pay attention to how the real successful couples in this town are doing it and you’ll see they’re rarely out in public. They’re never at club openings or social events, and if you pay real close attention, a lot of them will show up to premieres and then leave right after the film starts.
- Communication. I feel silly saying this, but communication is another key to a successful dating, but too often we in L.A. get lost in our image and wind up not communicating with our partners, and from that often trouble occurs.
So recapping, to successfully date in Los Angeles, you need to date the person and not their name. You need to trust the person, even if they’re off in some remote location shooting the next Bikini Babes Take Over the World. You have to make time for them, even if that means missing social or networking events and finally, you have to be open an honest with each other. You never know, maybe that special person might be that actor/actress sitting right next to you, but unless you find out who they are, you’ll never know if they’re the one for you.